COVID-19 has us loving our kitchen ( I’m sure you can relate) and cooking is something that during the busy months we don’t get to do a lot. I should maybe say we do cook, but not the most elaborate meals when we are on the go.
SO! we are taking this time to cook, enjoy our home, rest, and keep on serving you all 🙂 Let’s make the most out of this forced down time, and make delish stuff!
I would love to see what you make by tagging us on insta! @andimejia.co
Prep Time: 1 .5 hour
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Makes : 18-20 completed pie sandwiches ( tops and bottoms)
*Recipe at bottom of post
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 5 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 sticks cold, unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup of ice water
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- splash of Vanilla Extract
- pinch of lemon zest
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 egg
- vanilla ice cream
- Sift flour, salt, sugar and mix it all together in your blender.
- . Cut up your butter into cubes, and add to your dry ingredients. we used the butter when it was cold, and it was easy to mix.
- If it doesn’t get fully mixed in your blender, don’t be afraid to dump it unto your countertop (over flour) and knead away until its a nice round ball.
– If it’s sticky, add (lightly) more flour to your hands
and to the mixture. DON’T over do it, you don’t want
to dry out the flour.
- Divide into two separate pieces, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While your dough is refrigerating, mix your blueberries, lemon zest, corn starch, and splash of vanilla extract into a bowl, cover and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350*, butter or tin foil a pan, and get ready to make some magic !
- Dust your countertop with flour, and roll out your dough.
- I didn’t have a circle cutter, so I used a cup to cut 18 rounds (or whatever your dough allows you to cut).
- Place half on baking sheet.
- Add some blueberries, I added about 4-5 on each.
- Add eggwash ( I used a clean and new brush) to the sides of the bottoms ( around the blueberries)
- Slice an “X” on the other half of them to allow ventilation and add a little design to your tops, and place on top.
- Press down the edges of your tops with your fingers, and then with a fork.
- Add more eggwash to brown on the top.
- Place in over for 15-18 minutes and let them cool when done.
- Once they are cooled, add a scoop of your fave ice cream and sandwich together.